This article explains just one of the ways how to unlock your system that got locked with ransomware virus infection. Dealing with your computer locked with ransomware isn’t easy, no doubt. In fact, you obviously can’t do anything if you don’t know the trick how to unlock the PC. So, if you have certain urgent task to do, you will have to use another computer you might have, or follow this easy guide that will help you unlock your system using Restore Point (System Restore option). Due to the fact that your system is now seriously locked you need to undertake certain manual steps first, before you actually perform the System Restore procedure. Please carefully follow the instructions below.
- Restart your computer using the reset button (if you can’t restart your system normally through the “Start” menu of your PC). The reset button is generally located on the front panel of your desktop computer. With laptop, press “On/Off” button and hold it until the laptop is switched off. Alternatively, you may simply unplug your from the socket and plug it back. Then turn the computer on.
- Before the operating system starts booting, keep hitting “F8” button of your keyboard repeatedly. Windows Advanced Options Menu will come up:
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and the operating system that got locked by ransomware.
- Log in as the user of Windows account that got locked by ransomware (select user name):
- Cmd.exe window comes up:
- While the cursor is blinking type the command: “cd C:\WINDOWS\system32” (without quotation marks) and press “Enter” on your keyboard:
- The folder “system32” is now open:
- While the cursor is blinking type the command: “start msconfig.exe” (without quotation marks) and press “Enter” button on your keyboard.
- System Configuration Utility windows comes up. Select “Launch System Restore“:
- Select the option “Restore my computer to an earlier time” and hit “Next“.
- Select a Restore Point and click “Next“. Restore Point is a certain date in the past when the computer functioned without any problems.
- Click “Next” and wait until the computer is restored to the previous working condition as per your instructions above. The computer will reboot itself automatically at the lapse of some time.
- Now, after the computer is restored through the Restore Point, scan your system with reliable security software to remove all malware still residing on your system.