In case you see search.strtpoint.com in the home page of your browser, then truly something wrong has happened recently. To be quite fair with you, this means that your browser has been hijacked by search.strtpoint.com, also known as Web Search hijacker. This is what you now see in the home page of your browser and when opening every new search tab. This hijacker has been developed by InstallMac. In this guide we will help you to get rid of it from your PC and your infected browser.
In case the attack of this virus took place, you will see search.strtpoint.com as soon as you open your browser and want to look for some information through it. Your search queries will be permanently redirected through search.strtpoint.com website, and sometimes these search results will be obtained through Bing search engine. This doesn’t mean that Bing Search from Microsoft has anything to do with it.
The sole purpose of search.strtpoint.com hijacker is to collect a lot of personal information from your computer, based on your browsing habit. You might as well see a lot of annoying ads displayed in the home page of your hijacked browser. Also, you might see some sponsored links displayed on the top of search results redirected through this hijacker.
Clicking on these ads and sponsored links you see through search.strtpoint.com is not recommended. You may actually be brought to a lot of third-party websites, which may prompt you into downloading and installing all kinds of other useless applications into your computer.
It’s time to get back to Google Search, or to any other start page of your browser you like. We recommend that you follow this simple tutorial below, which will help you to eliminate this annoying browser hijacker from your computer either automatically or manually. Please feel free to contact us at any time if you need more assistance on our part.
Automatic tool to get id of search.strtpoint.com virus:
Detailed instructions to remove search.strtpoint.com and reset your browser settings:
- Uninstall any suspicious programs from the Control Panel of your computer and remove any suspicious add-ons or extensions from your infected browsers (related to this hijacker).
- Via your browser download Plumbytes Anti-Malware via https://www.system-tips.net/download.php or directly via the download button above.
- Scan your system and delete all detected infected files and registry entries by clicking “Apply” at the end of scan.
- Important! Shut down all your infected browsers.
- In Plumbytes Anti-Malware click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options.
- Click on “Reset” button:
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully. When you reset your browsers through restarting them you will see that browser hijacker has been successfully removed.
- Finally, right-click the Desktop icons and Start menu items related to your hijacked browsers. Click “Properties” and check their destination path in the “Target” section of the shortcut tab. Make sure there’s nothing related to search.strtpoint.com browser hijacker in this destination path. If you see search.strtpoint.com set there by default, remove it completely and leave only the clear destination path that leads to the executable of your browser.
Example of removing this browser hijacker manually (for free) in this similar YouTube video:
Example of fixing the Desktop shortcuts and Start menu items related to your browser infected by this hijacker:
Additional removal tips for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps didn’t help).
- Open your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will reveal the Settings page of Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.