The Smart Search browser hijacker isn’t really smart when it comes to furnishing you with any relevant search results. The hijacker actually doesn’t have in mind to assist you in obtaining any decent search results. Its only mission so far is to collect your browsing data and use it for its own purposes, mainly related to distribution of adware which would provide you with some ads relevant to your search queries.
You may notice that your browser behaves quite strange as a result of The Smart Search hijacker in it. For example, the home page will be changed into thesmartsearch.net. Opening your browser in the beginning of your work automatically gives you this window.
Whether you like the design of this home page of your browser starting with thesmartsearch.net or not – you need to know that this browser hijacker will not do any single good thing for your computer and you as far as obtaining any decent search results is concerned.
Note that The Smart Search hijacker is actively spread in the world wide web these days through being bundled with a lot of other free applications. In case you’re a person who is active in downloading and installing freeware into your PC, you need to be very careful not to allow any third-party programs to be easily entered into your system. This is why it is very important that you always carefully read the EULAs (End User License Agreements) of all free programs you’re going to make the part of your PC. In case you read the information about all sorts of additional programs, you need to make sure you select the option of a custom or advanced installation, instead of the standard one. This will surely help you to avoid installation of The Smart Search virus into your browser.
Along with installation of The Smart Search virus you may also install all sorts of other totally useless programs into your system. Obviously, you don’t need them at all, but the problem is that when you try to remove them you may not do it easily. The Smart Search virus, as well as all other junk programs, may still be the part of your computer.
In order to remove The Smart Search from your computer effectively we recommend you to scan your computer with a powerful antimalware tool called Plumbytes Anti-Malware, which is powerful enough to detect and remove all the above-mentioned malware from your computer. Please carefully follow the removal instructions stipulated in the guide below.
Software necessary for The Smart Search automatic removal:
Important milestones for The Smart Search automatic removal:
- Download Plumbytes Anti-Malware through the download button above.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with Plumbytes Anti-Malware after The Smart Search removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In Plumbytes Anti-Malware click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options.
- Click on “Reset” button:
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your computer now.
The Smart Search detailed manual (free) removal instructions
Step 1. Uninstalling The Smart Search from the Control Panel of your computer.
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with The Smart Search are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall The Smart Search. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click on the item related to this malicious program with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall The Smart Search. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click it with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Removing The Smart Search from the list of add-ons and extensions of your browser.
In addition to removal of The Smart Search virus from the Control Panel of your PC as explained above, you also need to remove The Smart Search from the add-ons or extensions of your browser. Please follow this guide for managing browser add-ons and extensions for more detailed information. Remove any items related to The Smart Search and other unwanted malware and potentially unwanted programs installed on your PC.